Saturday, October 4, 2008

Outline for History Research Final

This is what i have of the Outline for my History research paper. I chose to write about teh Library of Congress. Mainly that was because I love libraries and I adore the idea of the Library of Congress. I am very excited about this paper. I have been researching since I found out about it. Hopefull I can condense it all to 10 pages!


Thesis:
I.Introduction:
II.History of Library (1800-1886)
A.First Library (1800-1815)
i.John James Beckley (1801-1807)
ii.Start of Library
a)John Randolph's Act for Congresses
b)Thomas Jefferson's donation
Founder if ever there was one
c)First Law establishing Structure (January 16, 1802)
iii. Destruction of Library
a)War of 1812
b)fire
B.Second Library (1815-1864)
i.John G. Stephenson(1861-1864)
a)unproductive as a librarian
b)Hired Spofford
ii.Picking up the pieces after the fire
a)surviving books sold to government
b)Thomas Jefferson's books sold to government for ???
c)Andrew Jackson gives library a catalog
iii.Second (conflagration) fire
a)Insurance Claim
iv.The Weakening of the library
a)Lincoln appoints Stephenson
b)Stephenson on other things
c)Stephenson hires Spofford
C.The “Third” Library (or lack there of)
i.Ainsworth Rand Spofford (1864-1897)
a)put in place the construction for today's library
b)copyright (be sure to get the facts on this)
ii.Additions to the library
a)copyright
b)Smithsonian Donation
iii.Battle for new building
a)10 years of Pres. Mention
Hays, RB
Arthur, Chester
Cleveland, Grover
b)11 Years of building TJ building finished 1886-1897
cost $6,180,000 (cheaper than expected I believe)
III.Today's Library
A.development of LCC system
B.Billington
C.Future
IV.Conclusion

1 comment:

Moonfairy said...

Looks very cool! I'm interested to read more as you fill in the information. Make sure with this you stay chronological and keep tense the same (as in all this happened in the past tense or tell the story like it's happening now in current tense) either is fine but decide which one you want before you start writing, this will minimize your edits and revisions. Good outline!